What We Do
Amos House is known for its soup kitchen but we’re much more than a meal. Amos House is people and a promise. A promise to always be here, providing direct support for men, women and children in Rhode Island who are hungry, homeless and in crisis. We feed as many as 800 guests a day at our soup kitchen, the largest in the state. And we provide vital social services, permanent and transitional housing, job training programs, literacy classes and micro-businesses which serve and empower people right here in our community.
Since 1976, our dedicated staff, board of directors, volunteers and donors have accomplished so many great things:
- We’ve served more than 2.5 million meals.
- We’ve provided emergency assistance to more than 500,000 men, women and children.
- We've secured eleven properties which have housed more than 2,300 people over the years.
- We've graduated 318 adults from our ACE culinary program and 108 from our ACT carpentry program.
- We've helped about 100 men and women increase their educational level and 18 secure a high school diploma or GED through our Literacy Program.
- We've successfully operated 3 businesses - More Than a Meal Catering, Friendship Cafe and Amos House Builds - which have created 25 jobs for our graduates, served our community and generated income for our programs.
Our goal is to practice our motto: “Helping people help themselves.”